Long Island Genealogy
Welcome to Long Island Genealogy

Please Consider a Donation - Asking for donations is never easy, sadly it's a fact our presence doesn't come without cost.  Because of that we are asking you to become a contributing member of "Long Island Genealogy" by making a donation to support it's work.  Without your support we can't continue.
Donations can be made by clicking on the Donate Button to the left or sending a check.  For directions on sending a check please follow this link.
Long Island Records
Cemetery, County, Village, Town and Hamlet
Surname Databases
Major Surnames from LI History
Reference Books
Online and CD Collections
Surname Books and Articles
Online and CD Collections

The Miller family of Long Island
Files available for viewing:
1.  The Miller Family From "East Hampton History, Genealogies of Early Families," by Jeannette Edwards Rattray
2.  The Search for Captain Abraham Miller - The New York Years
3.  The Search for Captain Abraham Miller - The Ohio Years

The Millers of Miller's Place, Long Island
This information originally appeared in "History of Miller's Place," by Margaret Davis Gass Copyright Spring 1971 revised Fall 1987

Andew Miller

    There are two almost identical deeds of sale from John Thomas to Andrew Miller, one dated January 21, 1679 and a second dated August 10, 1682, both being for the same house, fencing and thirty acres of land.  Considerably more is known about Andrew Miller than about John Thomas, but even so there is much that remains a mystery, thoroughly muddled by conflicting evidence and tradition.  According to his own statement, he was born about 1632, but whether in Maidstone, Kent, England, or Craig Millerk Scotland is now known.  His father was probably John Miller who emigrated to Lynn and Salem Massachusetts about 1643, and then on to Southampton and East Hampton, where he was living in 1651.  The first record of Andrew is when he, John and george Miller "are added to our Combination" in East Hampton in 1656.  He was a cooper by trade and in the beginning days of the whale oil industry there was ample demand for his skill in making casks.  He lived between Hook Pond and James Lane in East Hampton until December 2, 1664 when he sold his house and land to Jeremiah Conkling, reserving to himself "that pane of glass that is in my house."  In the same year the Town granted him eight acres of woodland next to his brother John, provided he would make casks for the use of the Town for three years, title being only provisionally until the end of that time.
    It is now known when Andrew Miller can to Brookhaven Town, but he first appears in records here in 1670, when on November 15 he bought a ten acre lot from William Poole, paying one cow "fair with calf or calf by her side next May".  The following year he bought a house and home lot from William Poole, on October 16, subject to a mortgage to Mr. Briant.  On September 30, 1672 he bought a house, garden and orchard from John Bud of Southold, who he paid 30 pounds for it six years before.  But when Miller sold it to William Jayne in 1680 it was described as 13 acres, including a bit of swamp which he added to the property, and a "hotel".  Just where it was is not clear, but somewhere in the eastern part of the Town of Brookhaven.  From there he moved to Old Mans.  In 1682 he mortgaged his house there to John Inion and Andrew Gibb (who seem to have been more or less professional money-lenders of the day) for thirty-one pounds six shillings, and was one of six men among whom was divided the west meadow at the Old Mans (Cedar Beach and Mt. Sinai Harbor).  Part of Strong's Neck is still referred to among old timers as "Andy Miller's Hill."  He appears to have been the loser in a quarrel with his next neighbor in Setauket, for in 1673 he made an agreement with Samuel Dayton that they would not quarrel further and he would settle the affair by paying 25 shillings to Ebenezer Hook.  He was active in public life as well as in real estate.  In 1675 he was one of four men who promised to provide the Indians with adequate place to hunt and plant, and in 1697 one of thirty-one men who signed the paper calling Rev. George Phillips to be minister in Setauket.  He was overseer in 1672 and Constable in 1675, as well as packer, guager and taxer.  He served the Town in various other capacities, as arbitrator of quarrels and surveyor, and in 1679 he moved a house all the way across the Island for Benjamin Gould, no small task when roads were scarce and poor.
    Of his family, few details are known.  He had a wife Hannah who probably died sometime between 1690 and 1705, and five children that are known.  A daughter Hannah died young, about 1690, and was buried in back of the family homestead opposite the Pond.  Mrs. Miller was buried there too, and it is recorded in the Town Records on June 13, 1716 that "the last will and desire of Andrew Miller deceased that there shall be a decent burial place reserved in the orchard where his mother was buried, for him and for all the posterity of the house of Millers forever."  This request, made by Andrew Miller, Jr., was not observed, however, for when the School District bought the land in 1937 the still extant gravestones and graves were simply bulldozed over and bones and stones alike were tossed aside. Andrew Miller Sr. is also buried there, but his stone had been moved to SeaView Cemetery in Mt Sinai, where one can still find it recorded that he died December 24, 1717.  His son Andrew had died early in June, 1716.  On April 13, 1706 the senior Andrew had deeded his homestead to his sons John and Samuel, with the understanding that if they paid all the redemption money and the necessary rents, the house would become theirs at his death.  At the time he refers to himself as "late of Brookhaven", but whether he moved briefly to New Jersey about this time or where he was living is not known, for he reserved to himself the house, barn, barn close and garden and all rents of cleared lands.  The land is described as the land laid to John Bud and Thomas Thorp and 20 acres on the east side.  A deed to the same place 36 years later describes it as eighty acres.  John Miller was drowned at the age of twenty-eight, the first of three men in the family of that name to be drowned at that age.  Samuel moved to New Jersey where his uncle William had already gone, so the property passed out of the Miller family early in the 1700's. Two other sons, Andrew and Richard, were left to preserve the family name in the area to be called after them for many centuries.

Andew Miller jr.

    On August 4, 1689 Andrew miller Jr. bought thirty acres from Richard and Margaret Floyd, "adjoining Zacchary Hawkins upland on the east side" and being north of the swamp and highway.  He built his home there soon after, but the house was torn down in 1869.  The barn, however, has survived, being converted into a home in the 1930's and 40's by Jean M. Brown, a descendant of Andrew Jr. and whose family still live there.  This is probably the oldest surviving building in the village.  The new building was apparently built on the foundation of the old.

Richard Miller

    On August 20, 1705  Andrew Miller Sr. sold for five pounds to his son Richard a vast assortment of land, including a tract on the west side of the swamp on the south side of the highway, a piece he had accumulated by buying various lots in the East Division from 1680 on.  How much land there was is not clear, but older records indicate at least 31 acres, to which Richard added by his own purchase.  The place remained in the possession of the Millers until after the Revolution, but whether the large house which now stands just west of the Pond is original or only the small house in back (authenticated as 1690 to 1700) is not now known.
Additional articles of Interest by James A. Titmas