Please take a moment
to help us with
a small donation toward site maintenance. The costs involved in
providing a site of this size are high. We can't do it alone. If you
leave it to someone else this resource will disappear. We need your
support to stay alive!!
The Barnes Family of
of the name is perfectly correct; both are used interchangeably in the
Hampton family, all of whom are descended from William Barnes, born
1619 in England, who came to America with his two brothers, Joshua and
The three brothers were sons of William Barnes of Eastwich, Norfolk,
the latter was born 1580, died 1657; the son of Edward Barnes. This
had eighteen children by two wives, the sons who came to America being
of the second wife, Thomasine Shepard of Kirby Bedon, Norfolk. The
was an ancient one dating back to 1066 in England. Trescott C. Barnes,
of the annual Barnes Family Yearbook, said the name was originally
for warrior- "Bjorne"- brought to England by William the Conqueror. The
was a substantial one; the will of Charles refers to his father as
and designates him "Gentleman." There is a Barnes coat of arms recorded
the College of Arms in London.
BARNES OR BARNS
the three who came to this country, Joshua, born about 1615, came to
then removed to Hempstead, L.I., and finally to Westchester County,
The second brother, Charles, was the first school teacher in East
He married Mary, daughter of John Hand 1, in 1657. Charles and Mary
had a son, Shamgar, who married twice in East Hampton; a child of his
in 1701, his wife died in April, 1704. Shamgar married second on Nov.
1704 Elizabeth Hood; they moved to Connecticut and had children
there 1706, John, Mary and Abigail, presumably of the first marriage;
while visiting East Hampton later on a daughter Deborah was
Meanwhile Charles and his family had removed, about 1665, to
of the brothers who came over from England was: William Barnes 1 (b.
1619, d. 1661) who m. Sarah Evans in England, 1630; they came to Salem,
where William was made a freeman June 2, 1641; then to Southampton,
he was on the whaling list 1644. The records state that he had trouble
his wife, who obtained a "Separation" from him April 6, 1648 but she
the same year, on Oct.13, 1648 leaving a son William 2 and two
This is the first and almost the only record of divorce found in the
of the first 250 years in East Hampton. William 1 sold his farm in
on May 15, 1652 and removed to East Hampton with his children and his
Charles. He returned to England in 1658, following his father's death,
a quarrel with his brother Charles. He died in England in 1661.
Joshua Barnes 1616 - Bef. September
was bound an apprentice to Mr. William Paine of Boston in the
Massachusetts Bay Colony, 4 Sept., 1632, for four pounds per annum for
five years from his
landing; he was also to receive five pounds at the end of his term. Fom
it is probable that he had just arrived in New England. Upon the
of his service, he removed, probably immediately to Yarmouth on
Cod, for he was named on a committee 5 March, 1639 with Philip
to divide the planting lands in that settlement, and on 1 June,
he applied for citizenship. Heresided in the region around what
in 1640 called Stony Cove, the present Mill Pond, and his
were Andrew Hallet, Thomas Starr, William Chase, Robert Dennis
Gyles Hopkins. He was proposed to theGeneral Court on 1 June,
for admission at the next Court as a freeman. At the end of that
and early in the next year, he is reported to have been "in some
courses, as to wrecked goods and disorderly conduct at religious
and to have scoffed at the religious practices of the locality.
was fined for the latter offense, and as a consequence he left
He had been in Edgartown before 1649, and perhaps moved there in
Here he is supposed by Charles E. Banks to have held a harbor lot
Starbuck's Neck, later in the possession of Thomas Dagget in
this being land formerly that of Joshua Barnes. Barnes'
from Yarmouth seems to have followed a rather straight line to the
for he is recorded in Southampton, New York on 6 October, 1649.
this time the town made a settlement with him for the hire of his
and is reasonable to suppose that his removal from Yarmouth to
and thence to Southampton was in his own vessel. He seems to have found
the haven he was seeking, for it was here that he spent the rest of his
He is found in the Town Records as selling various properties and
as a townofficial. He was to take the rate, with others, 29 May 1661;
a deputy to the General Court at Hartford 1 May, 1663 and Overseer, 4
1665.He was repeatedly called for jury service until 1664. He is listed
land allotments in 1673 and in 1677, and the last record which
can be stated to refer to him was in a land allotment of 19 April,1683.
had deeded his son Samuel the northern half of his home lot and
with other property, 15 January 1683 (1682/3
files contained on this site have been
researched and donated for public use by the visitors of Long Island
and its expanding family. They are not to be reproduced for commercial
but are freely offered for your personal use. Please verify all
and use it as a guide in your personal research not as an end goal.
every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and reliability of
information on the Long Island Genealogy Website we are all subject to
error, therefore researchers should, whenever possible, check the
source of any information.
Thank You for Visiting and please
come back soon!