Camp Black - Garden City,
Hemstead Plains 1898
Camp Black was formed
on the Hempstead Plains, in March 1898, in support of the Spanish-American
War. Camp Black was bounded on the north by Old Country Road, on the west
by Clinton Road, and on the south by the Central Line rail. Camp Black was
opened on April 29, 1898. The first regiment to occupy Camp Black was Co.
H of the 71st Regiment. The Camp officially closed on September 28, 1898.
The "Fighting 69th" was a mustered into Federal
service on May 19, 1898. They reported to Camp Black at Hempstead, Long Island.
They were then ordered to Camp Thomas, Chickamauga, Tennessee which
was the designated training grounds for troops designated to serve in the
Caribbean. On May 26th the 69th Reported to Camp Thomas and was brigaded
with National Guard units from other states to form the Second Brigade, Second
Division, Third Army Corp. The Regiment spent eight months in training
and preparation but the war ended before they could see duty over seas. They
were mustered out of Federal service on January 31, 1899.
Fighting 69th drilling in column formation at
Camp Black - from the Nassau County Museum Collection