Taken from: Genealogical and Family History of Southern New York and The Hudson Valley Volume I;
New York Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1913

    The surname Van Nostrand Nostrand is manifestly Holland-Dutch in origin and became widely known in the New Netherlands in the seventeenth century. The records of the Van Nostrand family are to be found in the archives of New York, Albany, Jamaica and Oyster Bay. The name had a number of variations, such as Noorstrand, Oorstrand and the like. The family has always been of the substantial class, and in late years has given to the country many men of great ability in commercialand professional life.

(I) Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt, first American ancestor of the New York family of that name, emigrated to this country in 1638 and settled in the colony of Rensselaerwyck, where Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt, May--21, 16.5z, took the oath to the patroon. That immediate locality was in the south eastern corner of the nowSaratoga countv, at a place called "Halve Maen" or Half Moon, as his daughter Jannetje on the marriage record stated that she was born there. Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt was by occupation a brewer. He obtained a patent for land in Albany in 1652 as Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt the brewer, and had a patent for a lot on the east side of Beaver and South Pearl streets nine rods by eight and a half. This plot seems to have been divided into three smaller parcels, numbers one, two and three.
In 1680 Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt conveyed number one to Hendrick Gerritse Vander Muelen. On the same block on Beaver street, and at the other corner adjoining an alley, on lots five and six, was his brewery, which he sold in 1654 to Rutger Jacobsen, alias Rut Van Woert, viz.: Jacob Jansen Van Noorstran's brewery and lot in Beaver street, except the Horse Mill and brewer's tools (nearly opposite the present Middle Dutch church). In the year 1656 he was appointed inspector of beer barrels. The massacre of the Esopus occurred June 7, 1663, when Jacob Jansen Van Nostrandt, the brewer, appears to have been present. In August and November of that year he was present at the two baptisms in Kingston as Getuigenis. In 1676 he signed a petition of the inhabitants of Esopus for a ministry. The Dutch church was founded in Beverwyck, or now Albany, about 1640, and was the only one not of Esopus having a permanent ministry until 1700, save that of Schenectady. He married, February 20, 1650, Jennetje Jacob-se, daughter of Aaron Jacobsen, widower, who married, August 16, 1685, Elizabeth Volvinck, wiaow. Unfortunately the records of the Albany church previous to 1684 are missing, or some particulars of the baptism of his children might have been found. From the records of the Dutch church of Kingston and New York
he appears to have had issue: Jan Jacobse, married Agniette ; Jacob Jacobse, married Annetje Creesvelt ; Aaron Jacobse, mentioned below; Jannetie Jacobse, married Jacob Hoogteeling; Marie Jacobse, married A. V. Bremen; Agniet Jacobse ; and possibly Peter Jacobsen, the miller of Esopus.

(II) Aaron Jacobse Van Nostrand, son of Jacob Jansen and Janetje Jacobse (Jacobsen) Van Nostrandt, was born in Albany, and lived in the town of Hempstead. In 1693 he was on the assembly roll in Flatbush. In March, 1695, he bought two house plots from Gerardus Beekman, which he sold May 27, 1704, to Johannes Jansen. In 1678 he was in the census and is there described as having five children. April 14, 1707, he and Aeltje were witnesses in Jamaica at the baptism of a granddaughter, by name Elizabeth Alburtis. In August, 1708, they were also witnesses in Jamaica at the christening of Jacob Alburtis. Aaron J. filed, May 17, 1714, the "ear-mark" for his cattle. There is a record, too, dated June 17, 1714, of a letter written by Will Lake to George Clark requesting him to pay Aaron J. Van Nostrand for the construction of a
well in some part of the neighborhood. From another record it is ascertained that Aaron J. was a member, September 17, 1715, of Cap-tain Treadwell's trained band for the vicinity of Hempstead. June 2, 1726, he was of Foster's Meadow as per H. T. R. In February,. 1729, he and Geerty were witnesses at the. baptism of Aaron, son of his son John and Jammatie Ryerson, and there is a record that he subscribed three pounds ten shillings towards the building of the church at Success. In 1732 his "sit place" was transferred to his son Abraham, and in 1762 the "vrou's" place of Aaron J. was transferred to her daughters, Maritie and Elyzebet. His will was dated. June 12, 1745, proved June 16, 1751. He married (first), September 4, 1687, in Kingston, Aeltje Van Steenwick, born in Kingston, daughter of one Albert, died after September 1.2, 1708, and (second) Geerty von Gelder, who survived him. Children of first wife: Jannetje, married James Alburtis; Jacob, of Jamaica and Wolver Hollow, who did not
marry; Albert, married (first) Echberte Hendricksen, and (second) Antje De Mott; John, mentioned below; Aaron, married Sarah Ammerman; Moses, married Abigeil ; Ann, married John Wortman ; Gertry, married Joost Duryea; Hillecke, married Abraham Hendricksen; William, married Catherine De Voe. Children by second wife: Alche, baptised in 1710 in Jamaica; Abraham, baptised June 25, 1711, in Jamaica; Isaac, married Fransentje; Evert, married Phebe Skidmore ; David, married Mary Deen ; Mary, baptized January 17, 1720, in Jamaica; Yornace, baptized November 28, 1725.

(III) John, son of Aaron J. and Aeltie (Van Steenwick) Von Nostrand, was born in Flatbush, April 23, 1702. He lived for a number of years at Hempstead, where he was by
trade a turner. He was mentioned third in his father's will. In his own will, dated October 14, 1749, and proved May - io, 1753, he gives to his eldest son, Aaron, the great Bible and to Cornelius his gun. His wife, his father-in-law, Cornelius Ryerson, and his son, Aaron, were the executors. On November 17, 1729. he is recorded as filing the "ear-mark" for his cattle. On April 14, 1731, he subscribed two pounds five shillings towards the cost of building the church at Success. There
is a record of his buying a parcel of land at Foster's Meadow on May 1, 1744. He was a devout man and was regular in attending the services in his church. He was well looked up to in the community, and his services as a turner were much in request. In addition to his ordinary occupation he engaged in farming and was the owner of considerable land and cattle. Children: Aaron, married (first) Susannah Cornell, and (second) Elizabeth Ryder (nee Brinckerhoff) ; Cornelius, married (hrst) a girl whose first name was Jemime, but whose surname remains unknown, (second) Catharine Dorlant, (third) Millicent Betts; Alche, married John Beedel; Sarah, married a man of the name of Flowers; Abraham, remained unmarried; Martin, mentioned below; Jannetje, married Whitehead Skidmore; Antie, married Will Watts; John, married (first) Helena (Eleanor) Lefferts, (second) Sarah Bishop; George, married Milletje Durland.

(IV) Martin, son of John and Lemetie or Lameche (Ryerson) Van Nostrand, was born February 19, 1738, died August 13, 1816, aged seventy-eight, at the house of his son, Abraham. He was a shoemaker by trade, though he seems to have engaged in a number of other occupations. He enlisted in a company of Provincials, April 12, 1758, and in the ac-count given is described as being five feet eight inches in height, of a fair complexion, born in Queens county, his age at the time being twenty years and his occupation that of a shoemaker. On October 16, 1776, he signed the petition to General Howe for the restoration to royal favor. On May 30, 1778, Jacob and Martin Von Nostrand, sergeants under Captain Timothy Cornell, demanded from Silas Hicks eight shillings for his not going to help building the fort at Brooklyn, and took a pair of andirons worth fourteen shillings. Later he was one of the vestrymen present at the induction of Thomas L. Moore, St. George's, Hempstead, and he is also recorded as being one of the officials of the same church in 178o and the years following up to 1789. He married, July 31, 1764, Sarah Losee, born August 17 or 2o, 1749, died March 8, 1833, aged eight-three years six months and nineteen days. There are monuments of the family in Greenwood cemetery and on the monument of Sarah (Losee) Van Nostrand the name of the family is written "Noorstrant." Children: Antie, married John Rider; Jan, born December io, 1767, baptized March 13, 1768, in Success, died young; Phebe, married Simeon Pettit; Losee, married Betsy ; Aaron, married Sarah Van Nostrand; John, married Abigail Horton; Martha, married Aert Middagh; Mary, born April 15, 1787, married Gershom Fredericks; James, mentioned below; Abraham, married (first) Amy Smith, (second) a woman whose first name was Clara, and (third) Sarah MacManus (nee Weeks).

(V) James, son of Martin and Sarah (Losee) Van Nostrand, was born September 15, 1794, died March 18, 1861. He was a wholesale grocer in New York and was also
president of the Merchants' Exchange Bank. He was successful in business, gaining a competency when he was already quite young in commercial life. His will, dated April 3, 1855, and proved April 22, 1861, mentioned all his children. He married (first) February i, 1825, Sarah Uranid Greenwood, daughter of Isaac, died October 31, 1826, aged twenty-one years three months and five days; (second) Ann Matilda Carpenter; (third) Martha Jane Seymour, who survived him. Child by first marriage: Sarah Uranid, died June io, 1827; child by second marriage: James Henry, mentioned below; children by third marriage Seymour, who was United States consul in Saxony for many years and died at Elizabeth, New Jersey, aged fifty-nine years, unmarried; Lily or Elizabeth, unmarried; Marshall R.

(VI) James Henry, son of James and Ann Matilda (Carpenter) Van Nostrand, was born about 183o. He married Jane C. MacManus, daughter of Captain John and Sarah (Weeks) MacManus, who were married in Brooklyn, January 17, 1824. Children: Nellie ; Charles B., mentioned below.

(VII) Charles B., son of James Henry and Jane C. (MacManus) Van Nostrand, was born in New York county, New York, March, 1863. He was educated at the Polytechnic Institute. He married, at Bangor, Maine, 1892, Robina Howell. He is president and director of the Van Nostrand Comnany and vice-president of the United Mines Company; treasurer of the New York & Richmond Gas Company and treasurer and director of the Journal of Covmterce.