The Kelly Family
John Andrew Kelly was
born in Charleston, S.C. on October 6, 1792. He
died in New York City on January 6, 1833. His
father was Johannes Kolle, born November 8, 1746 died October 19, 1791,
and his mother was Anna Maria Werner, born 1754, died January 1840. The Kelly surname started out as Kollen, and
future generations changed to Kollin, Kolle, and finally to
Kelly/Kelley. The family of Johann Jakob Kölle migrated to S.C. in
1752 arriving about the first of December on the Brigantine John and
Mary (SC Gazette, issue of 4 Dec 1752). As
John Khele he was awarded a 400 acre bounty grant on Buffalo Creek near
the Saluda River.
Kolle’s father was Johann Jakob Köllin/Kolle, b. 24 Feb 1711, m. 3
Feb 1739, Anna Catharina Sigler, b. 15 Oct 1713, daughter of Johann
Sigler and Anna Barbara Ott. St. John’s
Lutheran Church records
of Charleston say he migrated in 1752 with wife and 5 children to
“Neu-England”. (records available in
Charleston, SC show that John
Jacob arrived from Germany aboard the “John and Mary” with six (6)
children. An additional son, Andrew was
born aboard ship during
the crossing). Johannes Kolle fought in
War with the German Fusiliers and was captured by the British and
in a prisoner of war camp (Rev. War pension application #21521). The Kolle family came from Blaubueren,
Children of John Andrew Kelly and Anna Maria Friedle:
John Andrew Friedle Kelly, born 22 January
7 May 1897. Graduated from Columbia
age 18 and was a newspaper publisher, “The Independent Press”, in
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY. Did not
marry. Buried in Maple Grove Cemetery,
The Friedle Family
The Friedle family emigrated from Wurttemberg, Germany in 1804 and landed on the island of Helgoland in the North Sea. They stayed there until about 1811 when they left for London and boarded a ship for New York City. By that that time, Andreas Friedle had died and his widow, Maria Catherine (Baur) Friedle ( 1751-1833) brought his ashes to New York City. The Friedle family was well to do and bought a house on 117 William Street, near Wall Street in lower Manhattan. At that time the family consisted of 2 brothers and 3 daughters: Christoph Frederick Friedle (March 3, 1786), Johann Andreas Friedle ( April 18, 1790), Catherina Magdelena Friedle (June 17, 1783), Anna Maria Friedle (August 2, 1795 – December 2, 1882), and Catherina Barbara (Friedle) Buddy. The history of the Friedle family is derived from the church records of Roigheim and the New York Time article on the pioneers of Woodside Queens, August 1, 1897. The Friedle family appears as communicants in the Lutheran church records New York City from 1811 onward. The Friedle family embarked on a business venture selling artificial flowers out of their home. The business flourished for a while and at one point they employed over 100 people. At some point, probably due to the sale of the artificial flowers to the southern market, Anna Maria Friedle and her brother, John Andreas Friedle moved to Charleston, S.C. Anna Maria set up a millinery shop on King St. where she presumably met her future husband, John A. Kelly. John Andreas Friedle established a wax museum, similar to the one that he had started in New York City. The museum was well received according to reviews of the day. He ultimately closed the museum and took the show to Cuba. The venture proved unsuccessful and he died on the trip home. Anna Maria Friedle married John A. Kelly on March 8, 1821. The Kelly’s had a son and a daughter in Charleston: John A.F. Kelly and Maria H. Kelly. Sometime between 1825 and 1826 John A. Kelly moved to New York City with his wife and 2 children and resided with the Friedle family at 117 William St, Manhattan. In 1826, he purchased 115 acres of land with his sister in law, Catherine B. Buddy, in Newton, Queens from the heirs of the Sackett family. This acquisition was later to become the community of Woodside, Queens. The family manor house was located between today’s 57th and 58th In 1867, most of the land was sold to a developer, Benjamin Hitchcock, who offered lots for $300. This was the beginning of the development of Woodside. The town was named after John A.F. Kelly’s articles in his newspaper, The Independent Press, in which he wrote articles describing the “woodsy area” from his house. After Anna Maria (Friedle) (Kelly) Howell died in 1882, the family finally sold off the manor house to St. Sebastian’s Church who built a church on the property and a rectory next door. Streets on Woodside Avenue.
The Howell Family
John A. Kelly died in 1833, Anna Maria remarried Caleb Tappan Howell
(June 4, 1798 – November 20, 1878). He was
born in Chester, New Jersey, and was part of the Edward Howell family
of Southhampton, New York. The
Howell’s lived in the Friedle house on 117 William St. until about the
1840’s when the removed to the manor house in Woodside.
They had one son, Caleb Tappan Howell, Jr. (February 2,
1835-December 11, 1911. He married Mary
Steele (March 1844-February 12, 1909). They
had one son, Hamilton Howell (Dec 1872-1952).
The Terrett Family
Anna Maria Kelly (1831-1917) married first, probably at Newtown (now Woodside Village, Elmhurst), 14 February 1849, Horatio Nelson Terrett, who was born in Stonington, Connecticut, 15 October 1813 and died in Brooklyn, 30 October 1862, the eighth and youngest child of merchant/mariner Capt. William2 Terrett (Capt. William1) and his wife, Hannah Fish Rossiter. Raised from the age of six in Granville, Massachusetts, he was a liquor and wine importer/dealer in the seaport area near Wall Street in Manhattan. They had two children that died early and one son that survived to adulthood: Horatio Nelson Terrett, Jr. (August, 1853-August 26, 1918). He married Anna Virginia Crean (1857-1914) who was the first niece of James Gordon Bennett, the founder and publisher of the New York Herald Tribune.
Through his mother, Horatio Terrett Sr. was a direct descendant of Walter Palmer (Charlestown, 1629); Edward Rossiter (Dorchester, 1630); William Denison (Roxbury, 1631); Edmund Sherman (Boston, 1634); Thomas Lord (Newtown [Cambridge], 1635); Thomas White (Weymouth, 1635); Thomas Stanton (Hartford, 1636 [not Virginia, 1635]); Rev. Abraham Pierson (Boston, 1639), and Rev. Abraham Pierson Jr. (first rector of the Collegiate School of Connecticut [Yale]). Through his paternal grandmother, Antje/Ann/Nancy Lozier, he was a direct descendant of Francois LeSueur (b. near Dieppe, Normandy, France; New Amsterdam [New York City], 1657) and Albert Zabriskie (Amsterdam, Holland, to New Amsterdam, 1662)
H.N. Terrett, Jr. never worked, having inherited a handsome sum from his father. H.N. Terrett, Jr. had 3 daughters: Minna Virgina (1882-1950), Evelyn Brenda, and Lillian Anna. Minna Virginia married Thomas Clough (1878-1974) and they had one son, Malcom Terrett Clough who married Mary Ellen (1911-2000). They are my parents.
Horatio Nelson Terrett, Jr.
The Crean Family
Maria Hendricher Kelly married Alpheus Pierson Riker (1817-April 13, 1882). Alpheus’s lineage drew from Abraham Riker who owned the island named after him. They had 3 children: Alpheus P. Riker, Jr. (1847-1885), Rena Wadell (1852-1885), and John Norton Riker ( 1845-1920). This branch of the Rikers’ is all buried in the Maple Grove Cemetery in Queens.
The Crandall Family
After the death of Horatio Nelson Terrett, Anna Maria Kelly remarried to Warren Perrigo Crandall (1835-?). He was descendant from a long line of Baptist ministers from St. John Canada. They had at least one son, Chauncey Warren Crandall (December 10, 1866-December 24, 1928). The Chauncey Warren Crandall name has survived for 4 generations, having ended with C.W. Crandall IV (1954) who lives in Florida.
The Clough Family
Bentley Clough (1851-1902) married Mary
Hargreave in England. They immigrated to
the US in 1882. They had one son and 3
daughters: Thomas, Gertrude (1888-1909),
Mary Alice (1882), Annie (1873-1964), and Beatrice.