IDENTIFICATION OF SOURCE
Reference (R) Number
1. "Shelter Island and Its Presbyterian
Church," Rev. J. E. MaIlman, 1899.
2. "The Refugees of 1776 from Long Island
to Connecticut," F. B. Mather, 1913.
3. "Town of Southold, L.l. -- Personal
Index Prior to 1698 and Index of 1698," Charles B. Moore, 1868.
4. "The Havens Family in New Jersey,"
5. "History of Mattituck, Long Island,
N.Y.," Rev. Charles E. Craven, 1906.
6. "Genealogical and Family History of
Southern New York and the Hudson River Valley," Cuyler Reynolds, 1914.
7. Calendar of New York Historical Manuscripts,
Revolutionary Papers; New York State Library, Albany, N.Y.
8. D.A.R. Graves, New York State Library,
9. D.A.R. Bible Records, New York State
Library, Albany, N.Y.
10. Digests of Suffolk County Early Wills
and Intestate Records, abstracted by Wesley L. Baker, 1974.
11. "The Family of Richard Smith," Frank
12. "Tuttle-Tuthill Lines in America,"
Alva M. Tuttle.
13. "Ancient Burial Grounds of Long Island,
N.Y.," Edward Doubleday Harris.
14. New York Genealogical & Biographical
15. Proceedings of the New York Historical
16. "The Salmon Records -- Southold, Long
Island," N.Y. Genealogical & Biographical Society, 1918.
17. "Names of Persons for Whom Marriage
Licenses Were Issued by the Secretary of the Province of New York Previous
to 1784," G.J. Tucker, 1860.
18. "Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens,
Counties of Nassau and Suffolk, 1609 -- 1924," Vol.V; Hazelton, 1925.
19. "History of Suffolk County, N.Y.,"
20. "Historic Houses and Family History
of New York," W. B. Pelletreau.
21. "Journal of First Settlers of Southold,"
Augustus Griffin, 1857.
22. Data from Southold Presbyterian Church
Records, Copied by Wayland Jefferson; New York Genealogical & Biographical
Record, Vols. LX IV, LXV, LXV I.
23. "The Archibald Havens Papers, Barrington
S. Havens, Long Island Forum, May and June, 1974, based on a manuscript
in the possession of Robert H. Pelletreau, Patchogue, N.Y. and reproduced
here on pages 64-66. A similar manuscript, by the late Patchogue Historian
Osborne Shaw, is in the possession of the custodian of the Brookhaven town
historical records, Mr. David Overton, to whom I am indebted for a copy.
24. "Early Marriages of Connecticut,"
25. Ross' "Long Island".
26. Extracts from the Suffolk Gazette,
N. Y. Genealogical & Biographical Record, Vols. XXIV, XXV.
27. "Compendium of American Genealogy,"
D.A.R. Library, Charleston, Ill.
28. Havens family Bible and other genealogical
records in the possession of the author.
29. Smithtown Presbyterian Church Records,
N.Y. Genealogical & Biographical Record, Vol. XLIV No. 1 p 279 et seq.
30. "History of the Descendants of Elder
John Strong of Northampton, Mass.," B.W. Dwight.
31. List of inscriptions in the Old Beach
Ferm Avenue burying ground, Center Moriches, in an unidentified newspaper
clipping dated Oct. 16, 1912.
32. List of some descendants of Constant
Havens and Temperance Gordon, from the year book of the Pennsylvania Society,
D.A.R., compiled by F.G. Hoenstine.
33. "Cutchogue, Southold's First Colony,"
Way land Jefferson.
34. "Balloting Book and Other Documents
Relating to Military Bounty Lands in the State of New York," N.Y. State
Library, Albany, N.Y.
35. "New York State in the Revolution,"
Roberts, Albany, 1897.
36. "The Children of John Havens and Patience
Tuthill," Barrington S. Havens, as yet unpublished.
37. Record of the ancestry of Charles
E. Havens of Ft. Myers, Fla., a descendant of Jonathan Havens and Hannah
38. Havens names in Southampton cemeteries,
copied by the author in the New York State Library, Albany, N.Y.
39. Family Group Sheet of Jeremiah and
Bethiah (Youngs) Havens, from "Youngs Family Genealogy," Selah Youngs,
40. Family records of Mrs. Lola Lukert
of Center Moriches, N.Y., a descendant of Daniel & Elizabeth (Hayner)
41. "GardinersofGardiner's Island," J.L.
42. Family records of Edwin W. Havens,
43. Family group sheets of early Havenses
compiled by J.H. Howell of South Charleston, W. Va.
45. "Chad Brown of Providence and His
Descendants," W. B. Browne.
46. Savage's "Genealogical Dictionary."
47. "History of New London, Conn.," F.
48. East Hampton Town Records.
49. "Historical and Descriptive Sketches
of Suffolk County," R.M. Baylor.
50. "The Moores of Southold," Barrington
S. Havens, as yet unpublished.
51. Descent of Mrs. W. K. Russell, Irvine,
Cal., from Thomas Havens--203.
52. Vital Statistics on George Havens--312
and Mary Remington, supplied by Mrs. Char Havens of San Jose, Cal.
53. Consanguinity chart of relationship
of descendants of John Havens--61 11 and Jesse Pet letreau, supplied by
Robert H. Pelletreau of Patchogue, N.Y.
54. Family record of Arthur M. Havens,