|Long Island Records
||Long Island Reference Books on CD
Mordecai Homan, who was town clerk for 42 years and kept the office in his
home on the road to Yaphank. It was said of him that in all the years of
his public life, not a word was spoken against him. No one doubted Squire
Homan's veracity and honor. He died in 1854.
Rev. Jacob Corwin, who lived near Artist Lake, which was called Corwin's Pond at that time, was one of the first pastors of the Wading River Congregational Church, which was organized in 1785. He was also the first pastor of the New Village (Centereach) Congregational Church, which was built in 1817.
Benjamin T. Hutchinson who, with his son Henry P. Hutchinson, held the office of town clerk from 1861 to 1890, and kept the office in their home, where Kogel's cement mix plant is now located (1970).
Lester H. Davis, a prominent man of Coram, whose home was for many years the "town capital" where the annual town meetings were held until 1884. He was treasurer of the Presbyterian Church across the road for over 50 years.
Rev. Ezra King, who was pastor of the Middle Island Presbyterian Church for 34 years from 1810 to 1844. The monument erected to his memory by his congregations shows the esteem with which he was held. It carries the following inscription: "Grateful friends have erected this monument in memory of their beloved pastor, who for thirty-four years devoted the vigor of his life to the parishes of Middletown and South Haven, and by his ardent piety, eloquent preaching and fervent prayers, his warm affection, true friendship and courteous dignity, he has left an enduring example to both church and the world."
Alonzo Chappel, the famous artist, who lived the latter part of his life on his estate east of Artist Lake, which was named for him. Among the books illustrated by him is a two-volume set entitled, "Portrait Gallery of Eminent Americans."
Richard M. Bayles, a leading historian of the past century, who wrote the Brookhaven town history in Munsell's history in 1882. He was also author of "HistoricaLSketches of Suffolk County" in 1874, and many other large histories in surrounding states.
The oldest stone is that of Daniel Brewster, grandson of Rev. Nathaniel Brewster, first minister of the old "Town Church" at Setauket in 1665. He lived where Pfeiffer's store has been located since 1735, and died in 1748.