|Long Island Records
||Long Island Reference Books on CD
The following information is taken from a notebook compiled by Selah H. Tooker in 1940. Names, dates, and comments are his. Some comments are by Charles T. Davis.
I was told by Wm. A. Davis (1861- ) that Benjamin Davis and Benjamin Jr. were the first ones buried here. They were the son and grandson respectively of Joseph Davis (1645-1691).
26 Sep 1790 88
Former Davis Private
Graveyard Cem #75
Dec 1781 3 yr 9m Dau of David
There are also parts
of a footstone with initials different than the above two children.
Eliakim Davis Private
Graveyard Cem #76
1. DAVIS, ANNA d. 1824
2. DAVIS, CORNELIA (ROE) w/o HIRAM DAVIS d. 1859
3. DAVIS, DANIEL s/o ELIAKIM DAVIS d. 1832
4. DAVIS, ELIAKIM d. 1808
5. DAVIS, ELIZABETH w/o JESSE DAVIS d. 1836
6. DAVIS, HIRAM s/o ELIAKIM & s/o DANIEL d. 1868
7. DAVIS, JANE w/o JESSE d. 1808
8. DAVIS, JESSE s/o ELIAKIM d. 1841
9. DAVIS, JOANNA (ROBBINS) w/o DANIEL d. 1851
10. DAVIS, MARY d/o ELIAKIM d. 1810
11. DAVIS, MARY E. D. 1850
12. DAVIS, NATHANIEL s/o ELIAKIM d. 1853 or 1858
13. DAVIS, PHEBE, w/o NATHANIEL d. 1844
14. DAVIS, SARAH d/o ELIAKIM d. 1802
15. DAVIS, THANKFUL (Prob. PHILLIPS) d. 1815
16. GERARD, ELIZA d/o JOSEPH & ANNA GERARD d. 1825
17. NORTON, CHARLOTTE F. (DAVIS) w/o GEORGE NORTON & d/o DANIEL DAVIS)
18. TUTHILL, JOANNA (DAVIS) gd/o ELIAKIM, d/o DANIEL DAVIS
19. TUTHILL, RICHARD h/o JOANNA d. 1865
20. DAVIS, SMITH s/o ELIAKIM s/o DANIEL d. 1883
All but the last one appear on the Historian’s list. His list only listed those who died in 1882 or before.
ANCIENT DAVIS BURYING GROUND Cem #45
MOUNT SINAI, LI NY
This old burying ground is located on the north east cornet of North Country Road and Pipe Stave Hollow Road. It was called near "witches rock" by one Doctor SMITH of Ohio in a letter to LEROY SMITH many years ago. MILTON C. DAVIS of Millers Place, LI NY, said in 1922 that it was located at the foot of the hollow on the land of the late SAMUEL J. HOPKINS OF Mt. Sinai. SAMUEL HOPKINS told LEROY SMITH that in 1923 he sold part of his land with the condition that the stones be removed and that he had taken two loads to the Mt. Sinai Congregational Church and threw them in the hedge. The data listed was copied from notes of LEROY SMITH that was in the possession of ALVIN SMITH in 1964. On 21 Nov. 1964 I visited the site and could found only one stone, # 7. I do not know why it was there when Mr. HOPKINS said he had removed all stones. (f.s. means footstone)
1. CHARITY NORTON, wife ________ ____ , d. 1745 age 28 years. f.s. C.N.-1745 [Possibly- CHARITY LANE born Abt. 1720 married NATHANIEL NORTON Abt. 1740, son of JONATHAN NORTON and MARY MOSHER. He was born April 14, 1717.]
2. In Memory of / Anna wife of / Joseph Davis / who departed / this Life July / 27th AD: 1774 / in the 38th Year / of her Age. Note: The year was also copied as 1772 & 1775.
3. G. DAVIS 1725/4 Note: Maybe it should have been 1723/4 (??).
4. HERE LIES THE BODY / OF Mrs. RICHARD / GREEN AGED 65 / YEARS DIED MAY 29, 1734. Note: This was all in capital letters.
5. A fragment of stone nearby had only the following: Nr. RIC____ / GREE___ Note: This was probably Richard Green, husband of # 4 above.
6. I. DAVIS / DISSEST / September / 14 DAY 1754.
7. In Memory of / Thomas Cooper / who Departed this / Life April 25 / 1774 Aged / 36 Years / Born at Southampton. f/s/ T.C. 1774
8. D. Robbins / D: Th N: 12: D ? 1758 ag: 21
9. Here Lyes ye Body / of S Decd / ye 28 of May Being / ye 70 yr. 1747.
10. D B D / 0 54 / 1757 45
11. A rough stone with markings fairly plain. M N / 1744
12. A rough stone with markings very uncertain. S DA / 1723 (or 8) M
13. Here lies the Body of JOHN GOLDSMITH 1753 (Also copied as 1759)
Leroy Smith stated that when he and Osborn Shaw were there in Nov. 1938 thee were what he called several "nigger heads". These were apparently rough field stones marking grave sites.
Link to the - DAVIS FAMILY CEMETERY of CORAM